Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Big Four Oh


It is my sweet husband's 40th birthday today. Happy Birthday! We are having a few friends over for a simple dinner party to celebrate. On the menu....Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, Caesar Salad, Fresh Bread and Ice Cream Sundaes. The sauce is a recipe my Grandmother handed to my Mom and my Mom handed down to my sister and I. Even though we live on opposite coasts - we can smell it simmering in our kitchens when we put a pot on. It's the sort of recipe that you can evolve and change. In fact I don't follow the recipe anymore and I'm sure neither my Mom or sister do either. Somehow it comes out the same - fabulous every time.

You need one big pot that can simmer on the stove top all day. Dice one yellow onion, saute slightly in the big pot. Add 2 lbs ground beef or sausage or a combination. Brown, season to taste. While the beef is browning I add 3-4 crushed garlic cloves and a generous amount of Italian Seasoning - whatever you like or have in the spice cupboard. Once the meat browns add a quart or more of diced mushrooms - stir. Add 1 large can of tomato juice, 1 large can of tomato sauce (32 oz or so) and 2 small cans of tomato paste (12 oz or so) - stir. Let this simmer all day, stirring ocassionally.

Serve it over spaghetti or use it in a lasagna or manicotti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis